Rather than hijack Moorthy's recent post about grommets, I thought I would start my own related thread.

Most everyone agrees that the more resistance you put into a speaker wire, the more it compromises the sound quality (whether the decrease in SQ is audible is another discussion). At risk of this degenerating into a science vs. golden ear rathole, I have some pointed questions about this, specifically related to these wall mount speaker connection faceplates that are available.

It seems to me that any splice in an otherwise uninterrupted copper cable will add a certain amount of resistance, therefore reduce the SQ carried across the cable. I am nervous about buying just any faceplate because I've seen the quality difference between banana plugs and I'm sure the same applies to these. I am planning at least a good quality 12AWG to each speaker. Why then, would I compromise the quality with speaker interconnects from Home Depot? I'm unsure of the quality of the interconnects I see online from the usual suspects Monoprice, DVIGear, etc.

I am tempted to simply run my speaker cables, properly rated, through the walls and ceiling, uninterrupted from speaker to receiver. Am I crazy? (rhetorical, don't answer that)

I'm not so sure what to install as the grommet in the wall behind the receiver. I'll have 4 or 5 cables, 12AWG each, exiting the wall. I'll certainly not want to thread each one through its own grommet.

At the surround speaker positions (and possible the sub), I'm not so sure I'll be able to hit a hole small enough for those grommets to fit.

I'd like to hear from someone who's gone through this before. I will be wiring up the room the weekend after next and am getting pretty nervous about it. Not to mention hanging out in the attic is challenging for my 6'3" frame.

edit: changed the title of the post because it makes it sound like I'm asking about on-wall or in-wall speakers.

Last edited by Krich; 03/15/07 10:32 PM.

Ken. VaSSallo Series M60v2, VP100v2, QS8v2 SVS SB12-Plus