If you don't mind programming it yourself, I have the URC 300 with the programmable touch screen. While not 'necessary' I love that you can make and label your own touch screen buttons. It accepts preset codes if you know them, but I prefer to have it learn the buttons I want, where I want them, so that they stay consistent among the different devices. Macro sizes are crazy big.

It does take a long time to set up, but once it is done, things are PERFECT!

This is an older model, I think they have similar ones that are a bit easier to set up and make back ups via a PC now.

Not suggesting this is the brand to buy, just pointing out I agree with you. I'd rather spend some time programming and have it just the way I want it than have the ease of programming via the web.

The Harmonies do have their place though. I bought one for my mother in law and set it up for her. Her needs were simple. Switch from Sat. TV to DVD and back without getting confused with the 3 remotes. (TV sound only) It did a superb job of making things easy for her and the setup time was minimal for me.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.