I've been kicking around the idea of upgrading my DVD player for a while now, and since I can't make up my mind on my own, I thought I would solicit the help of you all.

My current player is a Panasonic RP79 (same as the highly acclaimed RP82 of a couple years ago, but a five disc carousel). I've been hearing all of this great stuff about players such as the Oppo's, etc. and am wondering if it makes any sense to "upgrade." My television is a Toshiba 50HX81 rear projection, about 5 years old, so considering this, would there be much improvement first of all in picture quality as the Toshiba does not accept HDMI or DVI; just component video?

Secondly, and actually maybe more important to me at this point, would there be much improvement in the audio, especially DVD-A? I know this medium has not caught on and seems to be dying a slow death, but I love the high resolution audio that this technology provides. Would I be improving the audio from what the Panny is giving me, especially since the player is delivering it to my Outlaw 990 pre/pro directly via analog and I would assume bypassing the Outlaw's DAC's? Am I correct on that?

If I upgrade, what direction should I go in especially considering my desire to give my Axioms the greatest opportunity to "shine?" (Not that they're not doing a pretty good job of it already)

Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.