I have been a lurker around here for a couple of years and have been sold on Axioms by the glowing reviews I have seen here and in other websites and publications. But I haven't had the opportunity to listen to them yet. And I'm certainly not the first person here to experience hesitation in making such a significant purchase without first-hand knowledge of the product. So please indulge me for a few moments and give me your thoughts on this.

I currently have a Sony STR-DA777ES with Infinity Overture 2s, an Infinity CC3 center, Infinity RS3 rears, and a Hsu VTF-2 (the old one). We're also using a Sony DVP-CX777ES 400 disc DVD/CS/SACD changer that's about 3 years old. I've had the rest of this stuff for about six years and have been extremely happy with the sound of the soft-dome tweeters in the Infinitys and the reliability and sound of the 777ES. The Hsu VTF-2 has been a tank, too.

BUT I am in the design stages of our next home which will include a dedicated theater room that will be filled with ALL new equipment. The pieces we currently own will be put into the great-room with some sort of flat-panel display for watching television and an occasional movie while being busy in the kitchen.

The theater will be just under 2900 cubic feet and the Axiom setup that seems best by the Home Theater Wizard would be the M60/VP150/QS8(4)/EP500. The pre/pro combos that I am researching include the Sunfire TGP-5 ($3500) and Sunfire TGA-7200 ($3000), the Adcom GTP-870HD ($2500) and Adcom GFA-7707 ($3000), and the NAD M15 ($3000) and NAD M25 ($3000). All of the above are 7.1 and all support HDMI without need for external switching (otherwise I'd consider Parasound). The amps are 200 WPC (8 ohm) except the NAD @ 160 WPC (8 ohm). As you can see, $6000 is about the ceiling for what I'm willing to shell out for a combo like this. And budget is a large factor in building this theater for under $40K--that's why I'll do alot of the work myself.

So my biggest concern is that the Axioms with any of the mentioned combinations may not sound similar enough to a combo that I am accustomed to. Or will my ears grin from John Petrucci or Joe Satriani coming through the titanium tweeters? What about fatigue from these tweeters? Will they "soften" a little once the break-in period is done?

I certainly have more questions. I realize this decision should be based on what sounds best to me (and let's not forget the wife). I am relying on the experience of others to try and sell me on the sound of the Axioms based on what I currently have.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by Toddzilla; 04/10/07 03:32 AM.