Thanks for all the great comments/suggestions. I have considered the room treatment path. There are some fairly cheap room accoustic panels I found while browsing on the audioholics website. The company's name is not coming to me at the moment....I agree that every room is different in it's sonic characteristics. The demo room I was in was probably treated as this was a high end store that sells Runco, B&W and the like. It was dark in there so I didn't really have a good look at the walls. The assumption is most likely correct since they are trying to setup an optimal environment for selling the equipment to perspective buyers.

I have used Yamaha receivers in the past and feel that the HK has a much better calibration tool. That being said, I will "splurge" and get the SPL meter this weekend and tune up the good old Polks.

My room isn't too bad sonically as I have wall to wall carpenting, a bookshelf and plenty of furniture throughout the space. But, if I can find those accoustic panels I mentioned, I will grab some of those puppies. The WAF factor on those will be mighty low....but so is everything else I try to do with that room (recessed lighting, 106 inch Carada Screen, mounted projector..etc etc..)

I do know from experience that good room treatment can make even crappy speakers sound decent. My buddy built a full scale theater in his basement and fully treated the room for sound. But, there is a limit to how much performance you get. If you put say some Axioms or Rockets in that space I'm sure they'd blow his gear away. Because they are better speakers.

So, for now I will try the SPL meter and maybe a few accoutic panels. I will probably still upgrade the speakers but will see what these two items can bring out of my current system.

Thanks again for all the helpful comments. Even if you are living in a crappy room!!

"What's the writing on that treasure chest say...EP600?"