Very common problem. I work around it in a similar fashion.

I have a Denon DV-1920A that I use, and have the same problem. Using its analog outputs on SACD material, the sub level is about 10db too cold, and the player only allows for negative adjustment. So you can set all of the other levels -8 or -9 db, but then you have to crank up your prepro/avr to compensate and not forget to turn the volume back down before switching sources.

In my case, my AVR (Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX) is able to compensate. It allows you to adjust the calibration levels for just the analog inputs.

I set the sub level (on the back of the sub) a bit on the high side, so that during the general calibration my AVR is set at like -4 or -5 on the sub channel. Then I calibrate using the SACD player's test tones, and bump the level on the AVR on the analog inputs up to +5 or +6 on the sub channel. That has fixed the problem for me.

One problem I'm having is that I want to replace my AVR with a true pre-processor, but I can't find any that let you do this. It looks like an Outlaw 990/970 might be able to handle it, as they can do bass management on the analog inputs. Though no specific level compensation on the analog inputs, however.

Another item you could look into is the discontinued Outlaw ICBM. It's my understanding that it had a level control for the sub that allowed +db adjustments.

Last edited by PeterChenoweth; 05/10/07 09:07 PM.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office