he also mentioned the following:

"yes there is more output than anyone could ever want but that was not the objective. My inspiration for all those subs came from reading the Harman article on optimizing LF sounds in an HT and I decided to check it out for myself. Not that I don't trust technical articles but often it doesn't transalte into real world situations.

Output for the sake of max SPLs is a mugs game since good bass has to blend with the rest of the speakers. I configured those 4/5 subs in total to give 75db level matched so the subs were as loud as any one speaker. Where the benefit comes from multiple subs is more even FR anywhere in the room and also far lower THD and IMD so you get the cleanest sound possible in the most seats.

In my room, I found the most significant sonic benefit comes from having dual subs on opposing side walls and I recommend that for anyone's HT. After that, well it gets better with more subs but with diminishing returns.

Now if I can only fill in that crack on the outside of my basement foundation wall."

Since having 2 subs on opposite walls made the most difference, I am not sure having 4 EP400's would be worth it...

Last edited by Hutzal; 10/16/07 03:14 PM.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com