Hey Ajax,

Yikes, another "Tubby the Tuba" listener! Hilarious!

Absolutley. I had the Everly's "All I Have to Do is Dream" and Santo and Johnny's "Sleepwalk." I didn't know who Roy Orbison was until years later when I met my then-wife, who was wild about Roy Orbison. I think we had a "Best of Roy" on 8-track with "Crying" on it, because I clearly recall listening to him in the car. I recall "Perfidia" by the Ventures but I didn't own it. All my old 45s got roasted by the sun during an apartment move when I left the box in the back of a VW bug. They were all warped and unplayable. I think I salvaged one.

It's sort of weird to realize that I've been alive and purchased every music format--except wax cylinders!! Even "Extended Play" 45-rpm 2-disc albums (they weren't very popular) of which I owned a couple, and pre-recorded open-reel tapes. And, lest readers think I'm 100, the 78s I bought in the 1950s were all electrical recordings. The era of acoustical 78-rpm recordings (done with a huge horn that moved a diaphragm that moved the stylus) ended in the late 1920s.

Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)