Originally Posted By: alan
It's sort of weird to realize that I've been alive and purchased every music format--except wax cylinders!! Even "Extended Play" 45-rpm 2-disc albums (they weren't very popular) of which I owned a couple, and pre-recorded open-reel tapes. And, lest readers think I'm 100, the 78s I bought in the 1950s were all electrical recordings. The era of acoustical 78-rpm recordings (done with a huge horn that moved a diaphragm that moved the stylus) ended in the late 1920s.

I'd never thought about it, but I'm pretty much in the same boat - 78s, 45s, LPs (mono, stereo, and a few Quadraphonics) - still have 3000 of them, pre-recorded reel-to-reel tapes, pre-recorded cassettes, CDs, SACDs, DVD-As, DVDs, HD-DVDs, Blu-ray. I don't think I ever owned an 8-track or any media. It's life was so short lived that I must have missed it. However, when I was in radio, we used cartridges (stereo only, I believe) for commercials, etc. Does that count? Missed Laser Discs too.

I've got some 78s from the 30s and 40s, but it wasn't me who bought 'em. They were my parents.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton