I spent some time today researching ABX methods for this listening session as I wanted to quantify the subjective differences as much as possible between these two subs. In order to derive statistically significant results that chess would be happy with \:\) , I'd have to do the following for music and then again for movies:

1. Compare with at least four different independent variables (ie. 4 subs or 3 subs and no sub),
2. Conduct at least 4 listening sessions with 4 people in each,
3. Conduct at least 16 trials per two-pair combination of independent variables for a total of 6 combinations and 96 trials per listening session. This is a total of 384 trials,
4. Each of the 96 trials per session would last at least one minute for a total of at least 96 minutes. More realistically, two to two-and-a-half hours would be required per session,
5. The participants would have to comprehend detailed instructions prior to their arrival,
6. The participants would have to complete four forms during each session,
7. The environment would have to be low stress with no time constraints.

While I think an exercise like this would be very revealing, finding the people to make this kind of a listening commitment has turned out to be tough.

So instead, we will have to live with the usual subjective evaluations from Mojo and friends \:\) . I'm hoping to post my comments before Sunday and then others can join in next week.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated