From a recent (and ongoing) first-hand review of the 600 versus the SVS PB13-Ultra in my home theater, both of which are priced very comparably once shipping is included on the SVS, I can't say that Axiom is far and away overpriced...

The performance of the subs is much more similar than I would have expected. I still have both in my home theater and there is a lot of material where I think it'd be impossible to tell which is connected. In the 10-18hz range, the SVS is a hands down winner, but above that range, the differences are incredibly subtle once the subs are both tuned into a flat response.

Looked at from a different perspective, the Axiom 600 is an absolutely beautiful subwoofer that perfectly matches my mains in high gloss cherry. I'm not sure what that's worth in $$$, but I know my wife thinks it's worth a lot. In addition, the SVS weighs more than 50 lbs more than the Axiom and is next to impossible to move without two fairly fit people to shove it around. When I first saw the specs of the SVS and saw that I was adding 50% in weight, I have to admit I was expecting a clear, hands-down winner in the SVS, but since I've had it, I find myself really torn between the two.

I do listen mostly to HT, so the extra performance below 20hz is nice, but it's really something that is most apparent when doing demo scenes of my home theater. Also, the 600 continues to exhibit a strange driver noise in low bass scenes that others have reported as well. I don't know what it is, but it crops up its head from time to time and is a big downer. \:\( In regular listening, however, the difference between the two is next to impossible to discern.

I realize this is only a comparison of two subs, not "Axiom against the world," but at least in this case, the 600 seems pretty fairly priced against the flagship SVS line.

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry