My speakers were delivered yesterday, and I had a chance to set them up and get a first impression. First of all, I was very happy with the color of the boston cherry because I have some wood paneling on some of the walls in my basement and the speakers are a near perfect match.

Calibration was a breeze because the m60’s sensitivity ended up being exactly 10db less than my old cerwin vegas. I had my cerwin vega mains set on –10db on the receiver to allow the rears and center to play loud enough so all I had to do was change the setting on the receiver back to normal and everything was calibrated correctly(according to the meter).

The first cd I listened to was Queensryche’s Empire on dvd audio because I had already thought that this disk was a little bright on my cerwins. I figured that since some people think that axioms are bright that this would be a good test for that. Well, the first thing I noticed was how C L E A R the sound was. I could easily follow the separate instruments and Tate’s voice has never sounded better. However, I could hear just a little bit of “ssss” at high volumes from his voice (not with the instruments). After listening to “Is there anybody Listenening”, I decided to try another disk. I was more excited than worried since the good things I was hearing were far outweighing the bad, and like I said, I think this recording is pretty “bright” anyway.

Next, I played Images and Words by Dream Theater which I think is the best cd I have as far as sound quality goes. Now I was truly floored! The mid bass from the drums on pull me under sounded so much quicker and smoother than what I was used to on my old speakers. I’m not sure if the overall huge improvement in bass quality was the bass coming from my m60’s, or if it was the bass coming from my svs 20-39pci that had formerly been covered up by my Cerwins, but in the end I guess it doesn’t really matter.

I was already in heaven, sitting there with a huge grin on my face when the vocals (James Labrie) came on for the first time. Wow. I have never heard the vocals sound soo separate from everything else. I just couldn’t stop smiling!! At the same time, I couldn’t believe that I have been depriving myself from this for so long.

Next, I listened to Fade to Black by Metallica. Once again the clarity and separation of the instruments made this great song a whole new experience. Cliff Burton’s bass has never sounded better, same for Kirk’s ending solo.

I forced my wife to listen to them hoping she could hear what I was hearing, but knowing she wouldn’t. She of course immediately said she didn’t hear the difference, but after awhile she asked if the center and surrounds were on too – she didn’t believe me when I said they weren’t until she checked.

So in summary, I think this upgrade is tied for the best choice I have made in my ht. The other would be my svs. I was as blown away by how good these speakers sound every bit as much as when I first watched a bass heavy dvd after buying my svs. Now all I need is the big axiom center channel, the Q8 surrounds, and another svs cylinder and I will be done (for awhile).