Coaxial - generic term for all cable with metal wire surrounded by insulator surrounded by metal-ie RCA-ended cable (and others, I know). This encompasses analog audio cables, composite video cables, component video cables, subwoofer cables (aka analog audio cables), digital coaxial cables, etc.

Composite cable-better than no video!

S-video-you got it.

Component video - yup.

DVI - generally a computer interface except on really high end stuff (correct me if I'm wrong guys), digital video. Theoretically better than the others, which are all analog (right, guys?)

RCA - merely defines the type of connector. Most a/v cables have this type of connector. The term you are looking for here is analog audio cable.

TOSLINK - digital audio cable; fibre optic. In some cases, better than analog audio, depending on the digital/analog converters on either end.

Digital coaxial - for most intents and purposes, the same quality as TOSLINK. It's just digital over copper cable.

Coaxial cable (ie cable company type cable, antenna cable, etc.) Generic type of cable that carries transmission data from the provider. Low quality video when used between components. I'm not sure why.

Hope this didn't confuse things further.

Ken

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!