Hello all. I'm new to the board and had a few questions for you. I am currently ugrading my speakers and can't decide which to choose, M60 or M80. My HT room is around 2000 cubic feet from the end of the couch to the wall, but my house has a very open floor plan, the HT room actually flows into various parts of the house, eg. kitchen, dining room, computer room, etc.. It's not enclosed by any means. I don't want to get the M60's and say, "Man I should have gotten the M80's." How much better are the M80's than the M60's?

Another thing is my receiver. I have the Sony STR DA7ES which has:
120 watts x 7 @ 8ohms
100 watts x 7 @ 4ohms

I don't listen to extremely loud music or movies, but I want DETAIL and CLARITY. I'll be listening mostly to music, about 60/40 music to movies. I'm ready to take the audiophile plunge. With the M80's, will I damage my 8ohm speakers with my receiver setting at 4ohms? I'll get an amp eventually but for now, it will just be my receiver. This is what the manual says:

"Alternatively, you may connect speakers with a nominal impedances between 4 and 8 ohms to any or all of the speaker terminals. However, be sure to set the IMPEDANCE SELECTOR to "4ohms" if you connect even one speaker with a nominal impedance between 4 and 8 ohms."
There is no warning about harming the 8ohm speakers, but I wanted to check with some people with more knowledge/experience.

My current set-up:
Fronts: Kenwood JL-series(cant remember the model)20+ years old
Surrounds: Polk audio Rti25's
Center: Polk CSi 180
Sub: KLH 12" (bought from Costco, hey, it sounds geat)

I will be replacing all of this eventually, but will start with the fronts. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Eric

Last edited by kungfu; 07/08/08 03:09 AM.