I'll likely go with the bookshelves at this point; I can always bump them to a secondary system. The speaker suite you suggest would not make me popular with the neighbors at this point! Its bad enough I'm going to be underutilizing the power of the 762 for a while, but to add a sweet set-up like that and not be able to really push it....

As far as stands, I'm considering that option, or the option that I'm currently using, which is to put the speakers on top of the wall unit in the living room. This is probably not best as its significantly above my sitting position for movies. Although when I watch movies now in 2-channel, the sound is fairly immersive. My soon-to-be-replaced speakers are Bose 301's (flame-retardant jacket on!), and for anyone who's never seen them, they're built for horizontal placement. I'll try the bookshelves with and without stands to hear what works best.

Whichever option I choose for the bookshelves, I can place the center channel on a shelf that's a few inches above the TV.