Originally Posted By: anthony11
An under-sink unit typically requires another hole to be drilled and another spigot, right? Something of a hassle with a stone counter :-/

With a Dremel, anything is possible. ;\)

In my case it was easy because we just have a standard 4-hole stainless steel sink where the one end just had a blank in it. The filtered-water faucet goes there.

We used to have a fridge that had a water filter in it, but the fridge itself was an expensive POS nightmare (you really don't want to get me started on that), and we tossed it. Our current fridge doesn't have a built-in filter, but I have installed an in-line water filter in the basement on its water line. That was a piece-of-cake to install. Really simple.

The big difference is that without the filter, if we didn't use the ice fast enough it would get kind of a mildew-ey stale taste/smell after a week or so. Never does that now that it's filtered, and the ice is clearer.

I think that the major difference between installing and under-sink vs. basement filter would be in how much cutting you have to do.

The under-sink system I have came with the line splitters that screw into the shut-off-valve housing. So there wasn't any cutting or soldering involved*. Just shut off the water, unscrew water line connection at the to the sink at the shut-off-valve, put the splitter on, then screw the water line back on. Could literally take 5 minutes.

With an in-basement system, you probably won't have any connections that you can simply unscrew. The job will almost certainly involve cutting the copper/PVC/whatever water pipes that are in your home. That then will require re-connecting & soldering once you're done, which might be just beyond the reach of the DIY-er. That might even technically require a plumbing permit to do, I have no idea.

*In my case there was a lot of cutting and re-piping involved, because of the stupid way that the previous home owner/plumber did the water lines. It was a mess of connectors, loops, and bizarre fittings. I had to cut it all out and replace it with modern, up-to-code, plumbing.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office