Nickboros,
This has been interesting for me. I usually use I tunes to make copies of music for an audiophile friend of mine. I don't know if there is a way of downloading I tunes plus, you can get I tunes Plus songs from I tunes, but I think bit rates are only 320 kbps. This is the highest bit rate I can set in my I tunes for importing discs. I used this to make the best copy fro my friend. However, after your post I checked out my until recently little used Windows Media and saw the lossless option, 470-940 kbps ("mathematically lossless" according to the microsofties. So I did an experiment: I ripped a cd in wma lossless. I then imported it to my I tunes and I tunes made sure I knew it would convert to AAC, but that was the only prompt I had, so I said, "sure." After importing I looked at the info of the song in I tunes and low and behold, the sample rate was only 320 kbps. The song file in Windows Media was 843 kbps, so there was obviously some info lost. (I think) Now I don't know if it noticeable or not or if there is a way of getting I tunes to copy bit for bit, but I just thought I'd pass this on.
Sips