SK - to give you another opinion on your subwoofer questions, I guess for me it would depend on how long before the 800 is released. I don't think I saw any date mentioned, and the Audioholics article made it look like there is still some work to do before it will be released. Knowing how close you are to purchasing, I'd personally have a hard time waiting, but that might just be me.

If I were in your shoes, I'd buy the 600 now and add another one later (or an 800 if/when it is released). There is no reason they wouldn't work together quite well in a room as they're similar enough to rumble together happily.

I'm not disputing the recommendations for the dual 500s (or 600s or 800s), but I'm going more on what you told me about having to deal with appeasing a spouse as well. For many of us, there is a compromise to be made between following audio guidelines to the "T" and accepting the fact that your wife has a vote in the situation as well, one that usually is not driven by audio quality (and even more seldom by maximum SPL output). ;\)

Also, since your listening area is not a dedicated media room and these subs will be in full sight, having one decent-sized subwoofer is already going to stress the wife's nerves a bit, and going to two would be an argument many of us would struggle to win (at least I know I would).

Also, if you get one sub now, you could also consider the trade up program in the future if you really feel like you need to replace it with an 800 - I was just looking what my EP-600 would be worth as a trade-up and it looks like I would only lose about $300 of the original value if trading up to an 800 (using an estimated price of $2400), so if I (you) really wanted the 800 in a year or so, you won't have lost a lot and will have enjoyed the great sound of the 600 in the meantime. (for me, it's been worth the $300 already - minus the 30 minutes you were here during which it was worth $o.oo) \:\)

Happy shopping!

Jason

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry