Ok. Received the Little Dot Mk V this afternoon (14h30). It was quite a surprise as CanadaPost was showing the package in Vancouver until early PM.

Pretty tired after all the tests and listening.
Bottom line: very, VERY happy with the thing. Definitely a keeper.

If the Mk I was a marked improvement over straight connection and Boosteros, with an additional slight improvement when using pre-out instead of headphone jack, the Mk V builds on that. The further improvements over the Mk I, although not the Earth-shattering type, are noticeable... by making the headphones less noticeable. Sound is getting closer to the combination M80/A1400.

Previously, I was always a bit disapointed with my HD650 (pretty much like I was with the PXC-250 for the iPod). They were good, but at that price, I felt a bit cheated. I really liked them when I was listening using them and reading. Once in a while, I would go "hm... good heaphones...". Then, when I would sit down to truly listen... well, not so much.

Tonight, I spent an hour listening to a whole disk and it was very, very pleasant (not as pleasant as without the headphones and when the neighbors are not there, but a very positive experience nonetheless!).

Well... I will soon go get a beer (maybe a few) and then listen to something else.

So, unless the next fews days change my opinion or bring out very important info, here are my final thoughts:

1a)For the Combo iPod+PXC250 something like the Little Dot Mk I is a MUST

1b)Using the docking port as line out is highly recommended).

2) For the Combo Onkyo805+HD650 something like the Little Fot Mk V is highly recommended (receivers may differ a lot for better or for worse).

3) I would still like to try something the like HD-595 to see if benefits are as important as with high-impedence headphones.

As for me, I am now SET with regards to headphones and headphone amp!

PICTURES:

This is a surprisingly big device (bigger than the headphones and a little over 7 pounds). I have set it next to my couch on a little glass table (that would benefit from a little dusting!). Pretty neat!

The couch AND the corner!

See Mojo's signature