Help please.

I recently purchased and X1 projector that's in part to Sushi's inspiration and encouragement. I'm trying to decide what two cables to purchase for now and future use - 1 S-Video, 1 Component or 2 Component. It'll be a 30 foot run so the cables aren't cheap and I want to think this through.

The X1 has a 7 pin S-Video input (480i) and a VGA input (480p, 720p, 1080i). Both have adapters that enable running component video lines into each. Here's where things get interesting...

My DVD player is currently not progressive (480i). I have a Tivo unit that outputs S-Video (480i). My first question is, can an S-Video breakout cable be used to send a 480i S-Video signal through a component cable into the S-Video adapter for the X1? I get that S-Video is a two piece video signal where component is three, but things get a bit vague after that. I'm not sure I understand how a two or three piece signal can be sent through the same jack.

Eventually I will upgrade the DVD to progressive, which means I'll use the VGA port for a component connection and then I really could get by with an S-Video cable run into the Video port for Tivo. However, I'd like to use the component signal from my DVD player now for a better image and that means I'll need to use the Video port of the X1 with the component adapter. That also means that I'll need to send the Tivo signal to the X1 with component cables and use the receiver to switch inputs for the component out.

Have I made any sense? If so, any input would be appreciated.