This is my first post, and as most first time offenders, I will start with a question. I am building my dream home and pre-wired the great room for 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1. I have decided on Axiom speakers but need help on deciding which ones are right for me. I have exchanged emails with Alan on a few occasions, but thought I would consult with the other gurus on this forum. Here are the particulars.

The great room is 17'X21' with 12 ft ceiling, 3 walls and adjacent to open foyer (with 14ft ceiling). The TV will be on the 21' wall which means seating position will be appox. 14' from TV.

I had decided to go with the M60s and QS8s, and eventually get a sub. The intention being to eventually move this system in the basement where the main listening room will be approx. 27'x26'x9, with open space on 2 sides, giving approx. a total of 1,300sq/ft (11,800 cu/ft). However, the HT probably won't be setup in the basement for 5-7 years.

When we move the HT to the basement, I would probably set up smaller speakers in the great room, mostly for listening to music and a bit of TV. I was thinking of having something like the M22 with a sub and moving the M60 or M80s to the basement HT room.

My question: How would the M22s do in my great room with the QS8s and good sub (SVS or HSU)? Would they be able to hold up pretty good? I'm thinking that the M60/80s might be obtrusive in the great room, but would definitely be needed in the basement. Also, maybe by then, there will be an M90 that would be even more appropriate for the huge HT room! So do you think I would see a huge difference right now (in the great room) between:
- M22s + good sub
- M60s and maybe a sub
- M80s and no sub (because of current budget constraints).

Are M22s and sub as good as towers for music listening? I think that for esthetic reasons, the M22/sub combo would be best, but I do not wish to be shortchanged on performance. Then again, we have 2 very young children and do not crank the volume much anymore.

Thanks a bunch.

Rocky