I just used the word from a post up above. A sub that would outperform would play deeper, louder, and with less distorstion. The thing is, while I know my sub is not the "best" sub ever made, in my room, which is not all that big, this PCi goes very deep without ever reaching its limits. Distortion stays low (I know I am at well under 1/2 output, even at high listening levels) and the sub plays very clean. It was a huge step up from my 12" Advent sub. I do believe in headroom, but in my case, I really don't need any more.

Since this is the case, I do not believe that too many subs will outperform mine, especially for the $599 (if I remember correctly) that I paid back then. I could have built a DIY sub, or researched and built an infinite baffle sub in my basement, but only if I consider my time to be worthless. If I value my time at $25/hr, then the PCi gets nearly impossible to beat for the money.

If I buy a 500w plate amp for say $250 (cheap!), a driver for $200, and spent $50 for enclosure material, I would have to build it in about 4 hrs to keep it under what I paid for the SVS. It would probably take ME 30 or 40 hours to build it, making it way too expensive for me.

Last edited by willscary; 11/05/03 06:40 PM.

"Life, liberty, and the persuit of happiness"...Go Packers! and Go Badgers!