Originally Posted By: gbuchana
They seem a little big, and are starting to stretch the budget, particularly in cherry wood finish. They also would probably benefit from a little more power than I have going on.

I don't own the M22's or M3's so my advice is very general. But given the price difference, I think you need to decide about the subwoofer first. If you are going to spend a good bit more $$ to get a sub, then perhaps the M3 is the best bet for you to save $150. If you are not getting a sub, I would be very concerned that two 6.5 mid-bass drives for a room that large would disappoint you and thus make the $$ you spend more of a waste. (I’m a big believer in high return on my investment. – No cracks about my $$$ Transparent Speaker cables! I was young, it was the booze talking.) The M22 doubles your mid-bass surface area so I would expect dramatic improvement in your room as compared to the M3 without a sub, for a moderate investment increase. But, the M22 makes 50 wpc a more pressing issue, however. If those are real watts, your fine. If they are 1990's claimed watts on a Japanese AVR (overstating watts as a fund pastime for many companies), you might have some problems filling that room with decent mid-bass (i.e., male vocals, acoustic guitar, stand up bass, piano, etc.)

As always, the answer is to up the budget! Real helpful, right. But my point is this, get the better speakers and find a $200 used but decent AVR. You can get 100 watts and a sub level output. Go to the Axiom outlet or factory store and get the M22s or a sub and the M3s. For under $1,000 you could dramatically increase your enjoyment of that room. Or spend $500 and risk not being as happy. Of course, you have 30 days to return the Axioms so you should at least try the M22s and see how they work out.

I have exhausted my two cent.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire