I have 2 EP500's and I can say they are not overkill in a 16x18x9 ft room. Having two subs, as said before, actually helps the room obtain a smoother frequency response. There are less "bad seats" and bigger "sweet spots" with multiple subs. Of course, I had to turn the subs down a bit since there were two of them instead of one, but the result is great.

Also, as far as subs from other companies, I'm sure that there are subs that perform as well, if not better than Axioms for the price. But, I like all of my speakers to "match" (same manufacturer). Seeing multiple manufacturers in my 7.2 setup would start to bug me after a while.

Another thing is that I am a sucker for customer service, and I can say first hand that I've never had better service from a company than I've had from Axiom. When I contacted them about the EP800's, I was offered a very generous trade in value for my EP500's. Many companies just don't do that, and it's one of the biggest reasons I went with Axiom in the first place, and intend to stay with them.

LFR1100 Actives,QS10HPx2,QS8x2,EP800,M3x4,M3x2 (Wood),M5HPx2 (Wood),AxiomAir,ADA1500-8,ADA1500-7