OK long story but if you have time this was just crazy.

This Sunday-Monday I was at some regional meetings for the United Way in a town called Amherst. A friend of mine named Frank, who normally would also be at the meetings, could not make it because his brother in law died.

Because his brother-in-law was from Amherst, a bunch of us who knew Frank better decided we would go see him at the wake. The funeral home was supposed to be very close to where we we were all going for dinner so we piled into two vehicles. I went with our local ED, named Clair. We were supposed to meet up with the others and walk to the funeral home but after standing in front of the restaurant for a while, we decided they must have driven straight to the funeral home.

So having some idea where it was, we started down the street. Eventually, we had to stop into a taxi stand and ask for directions.

"No problem, the funeral home you want is just down the street past the lights."

"Great! Thanks Buddy!"

So off we go. The lights are still two blocks down when we see a funeral home on our left. To summarize,

"Well that can't be it, he said it's past the lights."

"Well, maybe we should go in and check, it looks open."

Inside is a man sitting behind a desk at the far end of a room. He doesn't look our way and continues his very disturbing blank stare at the wall to the left of him. First thing I looked for was a sign that might tell me the name of the deceased. There was none. (Did I mention we couldn't remember his name anyways.) Inside the room with the casket are two lone women. Of course we recognize neither. There is a man in the casket but of course we have no idea what the deceased looks like. There is no sign of our friend Frank.

So we bypass the room with the casket and go into the room where people tend to stand around and chat about polite nothings afterward. There are only two guys in here watching a big screen TV. We do our best to unambiguously walk back to the lobby and decide what to do.

"Andrew, do you even remember the name of Franks brother-IL?"

"No, I only remember that it has something to do with a famous rock star."

"Well, that's no help to me." Clair is totally a classical music aficionado.

"Well, I have an idea." I figure I will go up to the other dead man sitting behind the desk and ask him if he knows who is being waked here tonight and if I hear the name, it will likely stand out in my memory.

"Exuse me, can you please tell me who is being waked here tonight?"

"I don't know."

Long pause......

"Ummmm, how is that? Don't you work here?"

"Kind of, but the funeral directors are late and so they phoned me and asked if I could open things up."
animated funeral home zombie goes back to staring at the wall and I stroll back to over to Clair and try to explain to him (That's right, Claire is a guy.) why this just isn't going to work.

We decide that the best thing we can do is sign the register so if we were indeed at the right place, Frank would at least know we were here. So we sign our names and we go out the door.

Once we get outside, laughter sets in and we are joking around about how strange that was. As we are talking, a car drives up to us, rolls down the window and asks if this is Jim Morrison's wake?

"That's it!!!" I cry.

Clair, thinking that somehow I must have figured out that this is the right place says, "Yes it is, go on right in."

While buddy is parking his car, I start laughing and explain to Clair that although that is definitely the name of Frank's brother, we still don't know if this is the right place.

"Ahh well, let's let him go in anyways."

We are about to head back to the restaurant when we see the rest of the group walking down the street from up past the lights where we were initially instructed to go. Obviously, we had the wrong place. Right......

[Continued in next post]

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.