Real Life Sienfeld, Part II

So we walk up to the rest of the gang and try to tell them "You would never believe what we just did, we crashed the wrong wake!"

Clare, the regional VC (note the spelling and gender has changed as this is Clare #2) interupts us and says, "No you didn't."

"What do you mean?"

"The funeral home up the street is closed, you must have been at the right one."

So after a bunch of chatter and laughter, the whole group heads back to funeral parlor #1. Clair and I discuss what we should do. After all, we were just in there wandering around like idiots. In any case, we decide we better go back in, just in case Frank is actually there now.

We all go back in and a couple of people from Frank's home town recognize his wife. She was one of the two ladies we saw standing close to the coffin. Now the group discussion turns to weather or not we should do the lineup to walk past the coffin thing, seeing as how none of us actually knew the man.

Somebody decides that they are just going to circumvent the whole lineup, which had grown from zero during our first visit to a grand total of four. He heads off around the room directly to Frank's wife. So, like cattle, everyone follows the alpha cow and jumps the queue to go pay our respects to his wife. We must have been quiet a sight.

In closing, it all worked out in the end. Frank's wife was brought to tears that we would all care enough to drop in. She made sure she asked each one of us our names and gave as a surprised hug. Obviously, Frank seems to talk a lot about us. She said that she felt like she knew all of us and explained that Frank will be so disappointed in missing us. He had taken the kids home as they were exhausted.

We never did see Frank but I'm really glad to have gone. It's also a pretty funny experience and these days, I needed a laugh.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.