Originally Posted By: nickbuol

Think of it this way, most people think that all MP3's are great because they are digital, but they are compressed (yes, some sound way better than others). Heck, even CDs (digital) are compressed, and some are better than others. I'm just saying that because it is digital doesn't automatically mean that it is... That is all I am saying.

That is definitely true. My point re digital was simply that newer films are making the transfer less of a source of error. In the past a transfer could ruin a good film - e.g., the original 5th Element BR disk that was of lower quality than the DVD. Now, either direct to digital or IMAX source, etc., mean there is more information and less transfer tools need to get a HD image on a BR disk from the original picture. Animation clearly skips that, so noise is not an issue. But even animation can suffer from noise and other anomalies due to bad input – Shit-in, Shit-out. So all have their weaknesses.

And I need to do Panda again. I watched it with the kids on DVD and it was fine, but I have heard many talk about the reference quality of the BR. Also, anyone here used Barka as a demo disk? I have never seen it, but keep hearing it is the be-all and end-all of BR demo material. I still think DK is the best overall I have come across in terms of sound, shadow detail, scale, image accuracy, depth, etc., but I was once told not all people share my opinions...crazy talk.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire