I was just reading through the preliminary manual linked in this thread.

I was disappointed to see the A/V sync delay seems to only be able to be set manually. One of the feature of HDMI 1.3 is the ability for a video processing device to report to the device immediately upstream from it, how long it takes to handle the video, so the audio may be delayed by the correct amount.

This works around the problem that some processors take longer to scale/IVTC/etc. on lower resolution video than they need to just pass 1080p/24 through. Or they can be put into "game" mode to reduce the delay to next to nothing. During the HDMI negotiation which happens at any resolution change, the proper delay is communicated.

My Pioneer does support a fixed delay, but when connected to a processor/display which communicates its internal processing time an extra option shows up to enable auto-delay. One fixed delay time which has to be manually adjusted is not a good solution at all. If the R-972 doesn't support HDMI 1.3 Lip-sync now, I doubt it is going to be added in the future, and that is a shame.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris