You might also check what EQ setting the amp is using. Try turning any EQ off to hear the music in it's unmodified state. I am referring to any auto-eq adjustments done during setup and to any preset EQ settings like [Statium], [Jazz] or [Rock]. Not saying you won't find an EQ setting that you actually prefer, but it's a worthy experiment.

Mine accidentally got set to [Flat] one time and even my wife commented on how horrible everything sounded. Movies automatically switched back to [None] so movies still seemed great. Puzzled me until I found the discrepancy.

Of course the ultimate experiment is the simplest. Borrow another amp to swap in and out. Make sure both have all EQ settings off so it is an equal comparison and that both are calibrated to the same sound levels with a db meter so you don't automatically prefer the louder one. Ignore minor nuances unless you can do a true, double blind, test but if one is actually as bad as you suspect because it is broken or what have you, then such a major difference should be apparent.

Last edited by Murph; 04/15/09 12:05 PM. Reason: added simple solution

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.