I’m looking to start piecing together a nice sound system. I’ve been wanting to do it for years, and I finally have the money to get some nice speakers. I sort of have my heart set on the Axiom m60s. I’m looking to get a set of speakers with very good soundstage/imaging, clarity, and bass. I like a lot of different things ( http://www.last.fm/user/scootermac ). Metal, Punk, and Electronica are my favorite kinds of music. I should probably note that I am not going to be using these speakers for home theater purposes, but music only. I want speakers that can go really loud without distorting. Right now I listen to most of the music I have on my computer, through a pair Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers. I really like them, and the subwoofer has very nice, deep bass, but it’s pretty accurate and it doesn’t have that boomy/distorted sound that my old subwoofer had. How would the bass on the Axiom M60s compare to the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers? I would hope that the M60s could match if not surpass the bass in the Klipsch…

My biggest concern is that the Axiom M60s might be too big for the room I am putting them in. What happens when you put tower speakers in a room that is too small for them? I’m not sure exactly what the cubic feet of the room is, but I’d say it’s somewhere around 1,000-1,200 feet. I think that’s a couple hundred cubic feet off from the recommended room size for the Axiom M60s. Is this a real big deal? How far do you need to place the M60s away from your listening position/what’s the closest they can come to your seat? The basement might be another option. It’s a bit wider, I’d say about 15x15 feet. But the ceiling is only 6 feet high. I am going to be hooking it up to a McIntosh 1900 receiver, which is rated at 55 watts per channel. I have a feeling some of you might say to get the M22s instead. I know I would lose out on some of the bass, and would probably want to get a sub. I would be willing to do that all of that, I’m just not sure if I could hook up a sub to the old Mac receiver. I'm thinking it might not have all the right connections.

So to sum it up, can I get away with putting a pair of M60s in a room that might be slightly too small for them? What would happen if I do?

Thanks in advance for any advice.