Hello there guys. I'm trying to decide between a speaker set up of either Axiom M22 with a Hsu VTF-2/STF-2 sub or M60's with a VTF-2/STF-2 sub. My room is slightly above average size ( neither small or particularily large ) so it seems my room would work with both arrangements. The question is which? My research has lead me in both directions...

1) I've read some say that a better low cost high fidelity system can be had by combining a good sub with good bookshelf speakers. The reasoning is that a towers upper and mid range can often be compromised by resonances from the lower range woofer: as well, amplifier demands, to produce the lower range output, have their own compromises. By separating the highs/mid from the lows with a separately driven sub you can optimize both and often for less money.

2) I've also read some say towers are better since even though they don't have the full lower range as a sub they have a better lower range than the bookshelf and drop off at a lower freq. Resulting they blend better with a sub and you don't loose any part of the freq range like you could with a bookshelf.

3) I've compared the speaker measurements of the axiom speakers here:

Speaker measurements:

http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/speakermeasurements/

Even though the M60's aren't given, the M40 and M80 are, and since both are similar I'd infer the M60's are also.

Looking at the measurements it appears the M2, and M22 have the best linear response and dispersion from about 100hz->20Khz over the M40/M80's.

Does this mean the M2 and M22 will be better in the Mid and Highs and sound better in this range?

However, the M40/M80 go down further than 100hz so would they blend better with the sub? Would I be loosing any of the frequency range using the M22's?

Is the extra money for the M60's worth it...?

Thanks for the help, Jane
P.S. It's in my nature to analyze everything to death so my apologies for the long post. I just didn't know how to express it in a shorter fashion