Sorry it too me so long to reply.

In response to your first point, yes, many tower speakers do indeed suffer in the midrange. Not the M60ti. It's clean and clear from top to bottom.

Point #2...With a good sub, both bookshelf and tower speakers can blend very well.

Point #3 - I don't even look at specs. I let me ears do the research. You'll not find a better tower speaker than the M60ti at a price any where near it's cost. (Assuming you like clear, detailed sound)

There are a few things that need to be determined before choosing between the M22ti and the M60ti.

1) How large is your room? (Actual measurements)
2) How far back will you be sitting from the speakers?
3) How much can you spend?

If you're room isn't small, and you'll be sitting at least 10' back from the speakers, and you're willing to spend the extra money, I HIGHLY recommend the M60ti's.

However if you do have a smallish room, and will be sitting closer than 10', you cannot go wrong with the M22ti. (at any price)

Either speaker will want a good subwoofer. (You're looking in the right place with Hsu) The M60ti can get away with music without a sub, but for movies you'll still want one. The M22ti will want a sub for both.

Let us know how things turn out.