Originally Posted By: Ascension
Have you made sure too that the phase switch is in the same position as the other, or toggle it to a different position? I know in my basement it made a rather large difference. Also, maybe check your trim controls too to see if they might be in a different position then what you thought on the back of the EP500.

Yep, made sure that everything was exactly the same. However I did get a prompt reply from Brent at Axiom that goes some way to suggesting that I am getting worked up for no good reason:

"The current EP500 subwoofer does have the same output as the older EP500, however the output is not front end loaded like the older EP500. You will need to turn the volume higher on the current EP500 amplifier to match the output of the older EP500."

I will have to retest the upper end tomorrow because although the upper end of my test showed some convergence, it wasn't the same for both subs. But I will allow that my methods were a little unscientific.

In the end I guess a few dB difference is immaterial because I would never have either one cranked to the max anyway. Thanks everyone for your input.