I have an SVS PCi 25-31 that I've had since 2002. I moved from a home with a 2,500 cubic ft living room to one with a 7,000 cubic ft living/dining plus it has large openings into the kitchen. I've been lurking and reading about better subwoofers here and on other boards ever since I moved in 2005 (my engineering nature). I do have the money to buy a higher end sub.

My neighbor 4 doors down just had a neighborhood party yesterday. He has many toys and demo'd his Martin Logan Depth 1 sub. We played several songs including one with an electronic organ. I was very impressed by the impact of his sub compared to mine. His room has 9' ceilings compared to mine with 11' but his area is quite large with living, dining, and kitchen.

I got home and looked up the Depth 1 specs. It's only 350w but says 900w peaks. It weighs 70 pounds and uses three 8" drivers which are 120 degree angles from each other to avoid cabinet vibrations. It is only spec'd down to 30Hz and retails at $2195.
I have no intention of buying it. I want to upgrade mostly for movie LFE tracks that go below 30Hz plus the price is steep.

I don't see why that sub is so impressive compared to my present one since it has 8" drivers and mine has a 12" driver and almost the same RMS spec. Is it because his is running hot compared to mine? More state of the art design? Lower ceilings?
Anyone have an opinion?

Bill

Whose avatar should I borrow next?