I discovered this weekend that my futon is an acoustic “black hole.” I had been playing with speaker placement/settings and had things sounding as good as any of the audio shops I demoed speakers at. So I moved out the mattress/box spring combo I was sitting on and set up the futon to have “proper" seating for others. Fired up a favorite CD and found the futon completely sucked the life out of the room. Now I guess I need to rearrange the order I purchase some things and proper seating just moved up on the list.

There seem to be tonnes of different options unfortunately most of them are not available to try locally so I’m looking for recommendations.

I’m assuming most seating will suck less energy from the room since It’s constructed more like the mattress/box spring than a futon but if anyone knows of the least acoustically absorbing material/style please share. Like is leather better than cloth at not absorbing as much high frequencies?

Also I’m looking for at least one seat that is comfortable enough to sit in for most of a weekend. This single seat does not have to be usable with the group seating.

I will probably start with one row seating 3-4 people but may also add a second row too.

Any suggestions on how to do the seating are appreciated.

Thanks,
Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1