For the finish I just went with regular black oak, finish and speaker aesthetics aren't really a big priority for me.

I did do a lot of reading last night, both here and on the Emotiva forums regarding the whole M80v2 and Emotiva amps debate. It's weird how this has been reported for almost several years now and no one still has a definitive answer as to what is going on. It seems like most if not all of the cases of powering down occur with either the older MPS-1/2 or the newer XPA-2. I don't believe it has been reported with an XPA-3/5 yet or the older LPA-1, which of course doesn't mean that it won't happen. It seems like all the new amplifiers, starting with the MPS-2 don't have a current limiter in them and will try to draw as much as they can. From what I understood (and I'm not even close to an electrical expert) is that the reason the issue is more prevalent with the XPA-2 is that it has higher voltage rails compared to the other XPA amps, and when the M80's do dip below 4 ohms it actually tries to draw the current whereas other models would just run out of power. And of course the reason that other amps, even low quality receivers manage to run the M80s fine is that supposedly they all feature a current limiter that helps when the M80s dip to low impedance (which, to add to the confusion, different people and impedance curves contest whether this does or doesn't happen)

I've also seen posts of people suggesting that if you set your crossover to 50hz or higher you shouldn't have issues because the impedance dips occur below that however it seems as if different curves the show the dips at different areas and no one has been able confirm any of it.

All in all, it seems like I'm basically at the mercy of the chance as to weather my system will or will not exhibit these issues.

Last edited by Escaron; 06/12/09 01:28 PM.