My new Oppo player has direct analog output at 5.1 can I just plug the sub out put into the sub? For that test?
 Originally Posted By: Foobarred
If you want to test the EP500 and eliminate that as a problem here's something you can try:

If you have an iPod or other MP3 player get yourself a 3.5mm to RCA adaptor cable. Turn the volume ALL THE WAY DOWN on the MP3 player. Set the gain/volume on the sub to about 1/4-1/3 of maximum. Make sure the sub is OFF then plug the MP3 player into the sub using the cable. I typically connect the left channel but I don't think it really matters. Turn on the sub and MP3 player then play a song with some good bass in it. Slowly turn the volume up on the player.

You should be able to turn the volume up pretty high on the MP3 player with the sub set at 1/4-1/3 but increase it slowly. With an EP500 you should be able to FEEL the bass from it. Especially in your small room.

If the EP500 works fine then it's an issue with your receiver's subwoofer line-level pre-out. IF you still get very little output with the MP3 player cranked up you can try turning up the EP500. If you need to get past 1/2 with the EP500 before you really feel it slamming then there's probably a problem with the EP500.