Originally Posted By: mcad64

What would the 60s do that the M22's paired with a sub could not do?

I wasn’t sure if you were saying that you already have the EP350 for this setup or it’s a choice between the M60s w/o a sub and the M22s with a sub. If you would forgo the sub with the M60s then I would say the M22s + sub would be my choice. If you also plan to use the sub with the M60s then I would go with the M60 in that size room sitting that far away.

To specifically answer your question. In a room that size with the placement options it should give you I think the M60s will have more presence and produce a slightly better soundstage for 2.0 music. But w/o a subwoofer will be anemic for movies. Whereas the M22s + sub will give you more impact for action movies but the front soundstage might seem a little thin for music even with the sub when sitting that far away.

I’m a big fan of bookshelf + sub combos for the best bang-for-the-buck, but in your case I think you really could benefit from a tower + sub combo for movies. And tower speakers for 2.0 music assuming not all your SACDs are 5.1.

Cheers,
Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1