I have to be honest here too Saturn. I've actually heard a difference between 2 receivers.
One is the Denon 3803 and the other was a Sony all-in-one HT package from Future Shop.
Again though i go back to the idea of "quality build". You need to compare 2 items of similar quality build in listening for significant differences and i certainly do not think this Sony was of any quality. The thing had a plastic cover on it which pretty much says it all.
That being said, i believe the price point of electronics that use parts indistinguishable in quality (for sound reproduction) from so called high end units is alot less than most think. Case in point, DACs. JohnK has mentioned several times how they are so good and so cheap right across the board that even a 5k cdp could be using the same DAC as found in a $300 unit but ppl just don't know it.

The amp that was driving the D700s (a Coda 10.5 equivalent) is now gone, hence why i'm looking for something new in the next couple of months.
The timing is ok though since i'm not in a financial position to spring for any new equipment yet. I just upgraded my cpu and my wife's tower.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."