Back when DVD first came out I spent a ton of money replacing many of my favourite VHS tapes with DVD’s, thinking that since they last forever it was a good investment. Now I own a Blu-ray player, one, in my HT room. I have a DVD player in my Van, my notebook computer, two other rooms in my house and 2 portable DVD players one each for my kids.

Now when I go to the store to buy a new movie, I am stuck with what format to purchase, and I am too cheap to buy both, suspect I am the only one. So do I get the DVD so my kids can watch it everywhere, or do I get the Blu-ray, so they can only watch in one room, but with better quality?

I have a great idea that will solve this problem. Since most people won’t buy both formats, and the cost of mass producing these disks (Blu-ray or DVD) is tiny (must be less than a dollar each), why not put both disks in one box and charge a few bucks more. Now I don’t have a decision to make. This would surly drive not only Blu-ray disks sales but blu-ray players also. The adoption of the new format by the masses would be that much faster. And since you are charging more for both, but not as much as if you bought them independently the value to the customer goes way up. It becomes a win win scenario. The companies would actually sell the same number of disks, but at a higher profit margin and the consumer doesn’t feel like they are getting ripped off, this equals real value to the customer. This seem like a no-brainier to me. Why hasn’t anyone put this into practice yet?

I even suspect that there would be a large part of the population that doesn’t have a Blu-ray player would buy the “combo” set because they know that Blu-ray is eventually going to be the dominant format.

This morning I bought the new Star Trek blu-ray (the one at Best Buy with the model Enterprise the stores the disks in the saucer sect – VERY COOL). I would have gladly paid a couple bucks more to get the DVD also.

You thoughts???

paul

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990