Hi Grunt
I think the reason we didn't see cassette / CD or DVD / VHS bundles is that the technologies were so radically different. Both of those were moving from an expensive and clumsy tape based system to a very compact and easy to use disk system. The advantages to moving to CD and DVD were more than quality of picture and sound. Disks don't wear out, and it is quick and easy to find the tracks / chapters you are looking for, where cassettes and VHS required time and effort to do the same. That alone I think was enough for people to move to the new format. Not to mention there was still a large cost to alternate packaging for the different formats.

But with Blu-ray vs Dvd, there is no "convenience" advantage. It is simply media quality, and as you mentioned, the quality is better, but depending on what you are watching it on, the difference may be marginal, and many people might see the difference, I don't know if they care enough to spend the extra bucks.

For me, I now own the Blu-ray Star Trek movie, and can only play it in one room in my house. I can't take it with me to watch on a plane, at my cottage (if I had one), nor can I take it over to my buddies house, etc. And the real kicker here is I actually paid more for less convenience. Not a good marketing strategy in my opinion.
paul

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990