My Dad has announced that he wants a Bose for Christmas. He says he has researched them (ie, he has seen their ads and infomercials...) and is convinced he wants one. Of course, I am not convinced. He is 85 years old and wants to listen to his music more often, which is great. I would like to try to convince him subtly that he can get way better sound for the same money with some Axiom bookshelves and a basic stereo receiver. He can use his dvd player to play the audio CD's. This is obvious to you and me, but I know it will be diffidult to convince him since he is believing in the magic of Bose.

It looks like I can get some M22's and a Sherwood Newcastle RX-770 receiver here for about $675. a little more than the Bose, but insignificant considering the upgrade.

Room size is large, probably 14 x20 or more, but the budget is set at $675. Bigger speakers are not an option regardless of room size.

So, do you guys see any better options than the M-22's and SN RX-770? Time is a factor also, as Christmas is nearing. I guess I am answering my own questions as I type, but I am just wondering if anybody has any different/better ideas in the price range?

M60's Rotel Nad Music Hall MMF-5
M80's VP150 QS8's Sherwood Newcastle Panasonic Plasma
Algonquins