Originally Posted By: bridgman

About a year ago someone posted pics of a really nice HT setup where the HT area was normally open to the rest of the floor and closed off by curtains when in use. I was wondering how that worked out, since it seems increasingly likely I'm going to end up doing the same thing.

I’m in the process of having curtains made to use both as blackout around the existing walls and as a “curtain wall” separating off the HT room (living room) from the dining room and kitchen. I did the same thing in my apartment to great effect. With the lights dimmed for viewing the illusion is that you are in an enclosed room. When not viewing open the curtains to reveal the whole area and lighter coloured walls for a more friendly atmosphere. IMO it works great.

You said the freestanding wall will give some privacy to the bedrooms. I’m just wondering if you really need a freestanding wall. I considered doing that both to hang the screen and have a wall equally distant behind all three front speakers. However, I found that making a frame and hanging the screen from the ceiling was simpler and less claustrophobic because the area below the screen is still open. It also gives the flexibility of placing the speakers just behind the screen so there’s no light reflecting off them creating distractions while still not having them right up against the front wall.

I also have the option (not installed yet) to swing the bottom of the fixed screen, frame and all, up toward the ceiling getting it out of the way should I want the whole room opened up. I haven’t seen the need for that yet since it’s just as easy to lower the screen an move it to the adjacent room if I want.

Another option would be put the freestanding wall on rollers so it can be pushed out of the middle of the room should you want to open things up.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1