Originally Posted By: Murph
I think I've become a bit of a purist in that I want to believe that what I am hearing is absolutely as close to the original, real life sound.

That's the exact reason that I want M80's paired with a high quality amplifier (and possibly EP800 or other sub) for "pure" two channel playback of cd's/lp's and a separate, dedicated Axiom/Onkyo 5.1 set-up for movies, dvd audio etc., both systems being in my "living room".

As much as I love listening to cd's and records through ProLogicII on my Onkyo HT amp, it's an effect (albeit, a trippy and very cool one) that is sometimes a little gimmicky for stuff recorded in stereo. And it gives a fake sense of depth instead of the true stereo picture that was intended by artist/producer.

When I listen to music through the Onkyo in it's 2.1 stereo mode, it sounds pretty flat and cheap.

Hence the need/desire for a dedicated two channel "purist" amplifier for 2.0 or 2.1 playback.

However, after spending a fun evening with a gentleman with a gorgeous open tube amp setup where it was very easy to change tubes (and he had a lot),

Tube amps (and tube recording gear) rule! I'm assuming he had an amp that does auto biasing? Tube "rolling" is fun and revealing.

I have to say that someday when I have cash to spare, I'd like to invest in a nice tube amp for a change of pace now and then. Especially one with big, in your face, VU meters!!! \:\)

Amen!

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa