Originally Posted By: bdpf
For those of you that have the harmony remote, does it keep track of which devices are on or off at anytime? What I am getting at is:
-if I want to listen to a CD for example,
- if nothing was on, it needs to turn on the CD player and the receiver but
- if previous to that I was watching TV, the same function needs to turn on the CD player, the receiver but also turn off the TV (if it knows that the TV was on)
Can it do that?

The remote does keep track of on/off for all devices assuming you use the remote to change the state of the device. I know I'm stating the obvious since it's one way communication. The nice part is, when you program an activity, if one of the devices didn't get the signal right you simply press the activity again and it will send the startup routine again. eg:just power on, not cycle.

If you switch activities, say watch DVD and you were already watching TV, it will keep all the equipment you need on still and only turn off the items you wish. IIRC, this is a configurable option in the software.

The other great feature that may be of use to you is a help key. Yep, a help key. How is of use to you? I'll assume other people such as a babysitter, wife, girlfriend (all three ) will use the remote. If at anytime something doesn't go right in the sequence because they weren't pointing it right or some other interference, they can press the help key and it will walk them through simple questions pertaining to that activity to try and correct the problem. Is the TV on, is the DVD on, Is the TV on HDMI 1 input etc......

It's probably obvious, but I'm a fan.