Originally Posted By: GregLee
I guess you've decided not to use a subwoofer? I think you should revisit that decision. It seems you're passing on some nice speakers because they don't have enough bass. Naturally, the larger Axiom speakers will have more bass than the smaller ones, but you'll never get the bass that's there without a sub.

Hey GregLee ya dont get me wrong the paradigm monitor 11 and studio 60s were nice capable speakers, but I did expect a little more bass out of them, fairly nice sound though. Its all money so you get what you can afford, so I was going to get the monitor 11s. I now know the Axioms wont make my ears bleed and represent a far better value over the paradigm studios. I wasnt even thinking JBL L880, I just saw the ad, did some research on the speakers and for $750 for all 3 speakers they seemed to be pretty good bang for the buck. Do they sound as good as the Axiom M60/80, havent heard them yet but I doubt it very much. The JBL L880, I dont believe sound as good as the monitor 11, but they would have been almost double what I paid, just for the towers. The Axiom M60 and VP150 would have been just about double what I paid too. When I picked up the Axiom M3s I have to say I love them, for their size I think they sound more detailed than the JBL L880. The JBLs are just way fuller, I mean its hard to compare a bookshelf speaker to a fairly decent 4 way tower.
I live in an apartment, so I think a sub is out, I get complaints as it is. Thats why I want a speaker that has some good bottom end. I like the JBLs but now that Ive heard the M3s, I know I would like the M60s or M80s. Id probably happy with the M60s, but maybe the M80s would be better for me since I dont plan on getting a sub. I could just get the M60s but would I always wonder what if. In my experience, you never regret spending the extra cash but you almost always regret when you compromize.
Hey just for fun, Stereophiles Robert J Reina did a good review on the JBL L880, check it out. When I do get to hear the M60/80 I do fully expect them to be better than the JBLs, but for what they are theyre not bad.

Thanks

PS Is anyone going to watch the hockey game tonight Canada vs Ruskies.....my prediction, WE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!