Originally Posted By: alan
Hi Rick,

Are you sure I told you that? Did I write that? Was it late in the day, and I'd already opened a bottle of wine?? ha, ha.

I usually advise against recessing any speakers into cubby holes or the like, unless you have the front edges protruding a bit, except for our in-cabinet speakers, where the crossover has been adjusted to compensate for certain wall/boundary effects that are inevitable if you recess speakers next to big flat surfaces.

I might have said that for speakers in a surround application because our ears are less bothered by coloration from surrounds than in the front channels. Put another way, we tolerate coloration or tonal variations from surrounds much better than in the front channels.

Cheers,
Alan

I was thinking it was you Alan, might have been Brent though ... it was back whenever we were building our room about five years ago and I had thought about building two recess areas in the rear wall that would house the M60s and I do remember being told it would be OK as long there were several inches of room to the sides, back and top and I also remember asking if it would make any difference if the speakers were used as mains or surrounds in this capacity and was told in either case that placement would have been fine.

I'll look and see if I can find the PM or email but I bet it is gone.

Maybe I was drinking at the time, that's certainly a 95% possibility.

Rick
Our Room

smile