Hi dannyc,

Welcome to the message boards. A couple of things first: If you are willing to make the compromises of getting a totally dark room to appreciate a front projector image from, say, the InFocus X1, you can adjust the zoom lens to vary the picture size so you won't be craning your neck. Besides, no matter what technology you choose, your viewing distance from the screen should be three times the diagonal screen measurement or greater. For a 46-inch set, that's about 11 or 12 feet--otherwise you'll start to see annoying video artifacts except with really pristine hi-def images.

You can read more about pros and cons of various TV technologies in an Axiom AudioFile newsetter of mine (axiomaudio.com/archives), the April 2003 issue. In any case, given your budget, you can get true hi-def in a rear-pro CRT set for about $1,500, if you can fit it into your place. The best-looking pictures I've seen in that screen-size range are from Hitachi, Sony, and Panasonic. Any of these CRT sets will benefit from careful calibration and alignment, which will cost extra. And you won't have to replace expensive projection bulbs every few thousand hours as you must with DLP and LCD rear or front-projectors.

Another fundamental truth: nothing will ever look as clear and sharp as a direct-view CRT set, properly set up. Don't look at one next to a rear-projection set, or you'll start seeing all the flaws in rear-pro images. That said, the Samsung DLP 43, 46-inch rear-pro and Hitachi 50-inch LCD rear-pro now yield wonderfull looking hi-def pictures, but these are fairly costly $3,000-plus sets.

Two years ago I wouldn't have considered a rear-projection set of any design because the picture compromises were too great. Now, they are greatly improved. Unless you have an unlimited budget, Plasma screens are for uncritical eyes. The blacks are lousy, but that may be outweighed by the thin-panel gee-whiz factor, which is persuasive for lots of consumers.

LCoS has a ways to go, but I'll be at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas later this week, and there may be some impressive new sets there at lower prices.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)