That room size does indeed open up numerous possibilities. It's not too big, but it's not all that small either.

Here are some suggestions, in order of how I would decide.

#1 - M22ti (from Outlet) & Hsu STF-2 - $759
#2 - M2i (from Outlet) & Hsu STF-2 - $629
#3 - M40 (from Outlet) & Hsu STF-2 - $816

You'll note two constants in my choices. First, order your speakers through the Axiom Outlet, and second, Hsu is the place to get your subwoofer. Why? Axiom's factory outlet will save you 10-20%, and you'll likely not even find the "blemish". If you do, it'll be so slight, you won't believe it. Regarding my subwoofer choice, Hsu makes the best subs at the best prices, and isn't that what we're all looking for?

Why didn't I choose the M3ti? I just think that speaker is better suited as a small room 2 channel stereo speaker for bedroom music. Nice, clean, mellow, and with enough bass that in a small room, you'd be happy without a sub. That's not what you're looking for though.

In response to Austinbird's idea of no sub, or cheap sub I must give a resounding NO! I had a cheap sub. It SUCKED. It did little for movies, and made music sound like crap. Seriously, don't skimp on your sub. (Sorry Austin, we all have different opinions. )

He did bring up a good point though. What are your plans for the center channel and surrounds? If you need to purchase the entire setup, I'd do mains first, subwoofer second, center third and surrounds last. Why the sub before the center? You can "fake" a phantom center, you can't fake good low end.

I know your budget was $700, if that's the case and you need a entirely new setup, get what you can for $700 now, and save up for the rest later. DO NOT buy an entire system for $700. You'll hate yourself for doing it, and you'll end up buying all new gear again later, because you'll never be happy with what you purchased. Trust me.

Last edited by spiffnme; 01/08/04 05:12 PM.