This is all good advice.

I agree with Craig (spiffnme) about the sub; don't skimp. If you're going to get one, go ahead and get a decent one.

I run M60's with no sub currently. I am VERY satisfied on a couple of levels. First, I have absolutely no buyers remorse. I do not (and will not) wonder "what if..." relative to my mains. Second, I have a very clear and efficient upgrade path - add a good sub. Until that upgrade, I am treated to sublime music and more than adequate (if not impactful) movie sound. I was set on floor-standers and thought long and hard about the M50's; while I have not heard them, ultimately, I decided that I would have always wondered if I made the right choice by saving a little money in the short term. I adore the M60's; they give me goosebumps every day.

Placement is an issue, though. I *wanted* big boxes. You (and perhaps your SO) are used to itty-bitty boxes. My own situation was that I dislike the risk and aesthetic of stands and feel that floor-standers really don't take up more space than small speakers on stands. Optimizing the sound of ANY Axiom (or other ported speaker) means positioning them well; inside a bookshelf would be problematic.

Considering your room size and penchant for movies, I'd go with the M22's and STF-2 right now, phantom the center and use the old speakers for surrounds. That is, IF you are amenable to stands or can place the M22's well. Then, get some QS4 or QS8's, and then get a VP100 or VP150 later. You'll be delighted with each upgrade, end up with a great system in the end, enjoy it "in the now", and have no waste.

I want to assure you that going from Bose to Axiom mains is going to be a very meaningful difference. You're going to have a really satsified smile on your face when you hear it.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem